Submissions of Novellas
Our novella submission window is closed. We were often asked what our ideal length for a novella should be, and it is a good question. Our minimum length for submission of novellas was 7,000 words, although ideally a novella will be 20,000 to 40,000 words.
Send queries to
ambrose @ leamingtonbooks.com
How Long is a Novella?
Here are the word counts of some great novellas:
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark - - 41,325 words
- Animal Farm by George Orwell - - 27,695 words
- Two Old Women: An Alaskan Legend of Betrayal, Courage, and Survival by Velma Wallis - - 19,558 words
- The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald - - 35,670
- Phaniyamma by MK Indira - -35,000 words
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - - 48,140 words
- Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx - - 9,135 words
Leamington Books is a Scottish publisher but when our submissions are open, we accept manuscripts in English (and Scots) from anywhere in the world.
Please don't let anything hold your writing back in 2021!